Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mmmmexican Rice

  • 1/2 small onion, diced into blendable chunks (the original recipe calls for white, but I prefer red onion because it's prettier)
  • 1 tomato, diced 
  • 1 garlic clove (I use garlic paste or minced garlic in a jar)
  • 1 envelope Sazon Goya Seasoning con Culantro y Achiote (It will say on the box. You can find this either on the spice aisle of the grocery store or in the hispanic food section.)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 2 cups chicken broth OR water

  • 1 cup white rice (I use Basmatti)
  • vegetable oil (enough to coat bottom of pan)
  • 1 can shoepeg corn (drained)

Start by making the sauce. Throw all but the last three ingredients into the blender and blend well. Set aside.

Fry uncooked rice in medium skillet in oil over medium heat. Fry until good and browned.  Be careful not to burn it. Drain off any excess oil.

Pour the contents of your blender (the sauce you set aside earlier) and the corn into the skillet with the rice. Bring it back to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed (just like you make any other kind of rice).

Feeds about 6, but could be more like 4 or 8 depending on how big a portion you decide to dole out. I find this recipe to be better than any rice I've ever had in a restaurant. I like to serve it with a sprinkling of cheese on top or inside a burrito. Maybe one day I will remember to take a picture before I eat all of it.


The title of this recipe when I received it was "Eden's Rice." I got it from my fabulous cook-friend Bekah. Now that I've made it a couple of times, made whatever little tweaks I felt were good for my cooking style, and adopted it as my go-to Mexican rice recipe, I'm posting it here as part of my cook book.

No comments:

Post a Comment