Monday, May 20, 2013

OMG White Cheese Dip

First of all, it should be noted that I am shamelessly posting this recipe into my own cookbook. Someone at ya pins made me a very happy girl when they posted this. Also, the picture is not mine... it too came from the link. I should've taken my own picture of the batch I made, but alas no. I ate it too quickly to even consider stopping long enough to get the camera out. 

  • 1 TBS olive oil
  • 1/4 c. white onion, finely diced
  • 1 large jalapeno, seeds and stem removed; finely diced (I used about a TBS of sliced jalapeno from a jar.)
  • 12 oz white American cheese, shredded (I'm not sure where the original recipe creator found white American cheese in a block, but I wound up buying the Kraft brand slices and cutting them up into little pieces.)
  • 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (Don't use pre-shredded - again, this is part of the original recipe, so I don't know why preshredded won't work, but don't use it.)
  • 1/2 to 1 c. cream, half-and-half, or whole milk (I used heavy cream, and the full amount, and it was divine.)
  • 1-2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced (I'm lazy, so I only used one roma tomato, and I didn't remove the seeds. It worked out just fine.)
  • 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (I used about 10 stems, I think. You can't really over-cilantro this dip, so don't be shy with it.)
Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low. (I cooked mine until they were a little more done than just "softened." Mine were starting to brown, and I think it made the dip that much better.)

Stir in the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of cream. Quickly stir until the cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.

Serve immediately.


Warning, this dip is highly addictive and can destroy willpower with a single taste.

I was alone when I ate it, and I still kept murmering little yummy nothings and OMG'ing every time my mouth wasn't full. Hence the renaming of this dip from its original "Queso Blanco" to "OMG White Cheese Dip."

No comments:

Post a Comment