Monday, May 20, 2013

Crock Pot Carne Asada Tacos

Ok, fine. So, I'm a shameless recipe thief. But here's the thing... if I try something, and it's perfect as is. Why go reinvent the wheel? So, I'm adding this easy and delicious meal from thedailydeelight.com to my cookbook.

  • 2 lb chuck roast, cut into large chunks (I used a larger piece, more like 3 lbs, and I'm lazy, so I did not cut it into chunks. It worked out fine.)
  • 1 onion, cut into large chunks. (I used about 3/4 of a white onion. More was not necessary.)
  • 3-4 cups chicken or beef broth (I used 4 cups of chicken broth.)
  • 1 c. white wine (I used plain ol' cooking wine.)
  • 2-3 TBS red pepper flakes (I just used 2 TBS)
  • 4 TBS garlic powder
  • 4 TBS cumin
  • tortillas, chips, or salad bowls plus any toppings you might like: cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, beans, etc.
Put the beef in the crockpot with the onions, and cover them with the broth and wine. Add the garlic powder, 2 TBS of chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Put the lid on, and turn the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours (Mine inevitably cooks for 10 hours then sits on "warm" for another 2 until I actually get home. This did not hurt the recipe, and may have helped it.)

When done, remove the beef and shred it in a large bowl. Then add about a cup of the liquid left in the crockpot to a smaller bowl. Mix in the cumin and 2 TBS of chili powder. Dump that over the shredded beef and stir it up good.

Serve on nachos, in tacos, as burrito filling, or topping a Mexican salad. I ate these as regular tacos with guacamole, cheese, and sour cream, and that was delish.  I'm planning to serve this meat as part of a taco/nacho bar for a party this weekend. 

The meat stores and reheats well, and can be enjoyed for several days in several different ways. The 3 lbs I made, fed 5 people 2 full meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment