Thursday, March 5, 2020

Keto Instant Pot Jambalaya

We (and by we, I mean everyone currently in house except the baby) have been following a keto diet plan.  I probably have a few extra recipes to add since we've definitely formed some favorites, but for now... this Keto Jambalaya recipe is the very best adapted recipe I created since we started about 6 weeks and (for me) 13+ lbs ago.

First, you should know I adapted this recipe from Café Delites. If you like peppers, okra, celery and carbs, you should go there and try her version. But, if you're trying to eat keto and like jambalaya, mine is pretty darn good.

Ingredients
  • Andouille Sausage - I used about 6 brats, sliced into rounds
  • Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast - I used two great big ones
  • Shrimp - I bought a small-ish bag of deveined, tail-off frozen shrimp
  • Onion - 1 medium, chopped
  • Cajun Seasoning - 2 TBS, divided
  • Butter - 2 TBS
  • Garlic - I used about 4 moderate squeezes of garlic paste.
  • 14 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Dried Thyme
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 4 cups Riced Cauliflower

Directions
  1. Cook all the meat. 
    • Sausage | Cut up the sausage into rounds and throw the pieces into a large frying pan with the cut up onion.  Cook on medium heat for a while--until the edges of the sausage are all browned and the whole pan is sizzling.
    • Chicken | I hate--and I do mean hate--dealing with raw chicken. So, you can cook it however you want, but I tend to take the giant breasts (bought frozen), throw them into a pot with water and boil for a while to get them "not slimy any more." Then, I cut the chicken into smaller pieces, add about a 1/2 TBS of the Cajun seasoning, and cook it until it's all browned and yummy looking.
    • Shrimp | Throw your shrimp into a small pot. Add butter, garlic, and 1/2 TBS of Cajun seasoning, and cook it until it looks done.
  2. Add the following to the Instant Pot (you can do this while the meat is cooking): tomatoes, 1 TBS Cajun seasoning, black pepper, thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, broth, and cauliflower. As the meats are done, dump those in, too.
  3. Stir all the ingredients well, put the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the pressure valve, and if your Instant Pot has a Soup button (like mine does), press that.  It will pressurize and then cook for about 30 minutes.  I let mine depressurize on its own and then it sat on Keep Warm for about 45 minutes. 
  4. Serve with low carb corn bread, a fried low-carb tortilla, or by itself.
I'm not sure how many this serves--maybe 8 or 10? It's a little spicy, has great flavor, and keeps well in the refrigerator. I'm also not totally sure of the carb count or macros or whatever, but I know it's low carb enough and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment